Sunday, May 1, 2011

mmmm elk

So I know Texas is not known for its large herds of elk, but I really just want a nice big elk steak! I would even settle for some nice buffalo at this point. I am sick of eating turkey and chicken over and over. I am ok with buying beef from the store sometimes but I just know its not good quality meat. I have been thinking I really want to start canning. I of course will do veggies and fruits. However I really want to can, chili and soups, and meats. This would really help our food storage and also save us money in the long run. Well, since I did not marry a orange vest wearing Wyoming boy, the search is left up to me. I know Oklahoma had big game hunting, but I just don't know if I really really can hack things like that anymore. The city girl has slowly taken over my life. I used to be a toughie which I can be if its needed, but now I tend to get ill over the slightest nasty smell. Could be from months of being very sick while pregnant. Not sure but my stomach can only handle so much now. I also don't even own a gun, lol. I refuse to them in my house! I grew up with guns, I had my own gun in my closet on the top shelf. I helped butcher our meat, we canned stuff. Everything was from scratch, what has happened to me? I have boxed mac and cheese and top ramen in our food storage! I mean ok so if we are starving I am sure nobody will complain, but I really would like to be a much better homemaker. I am now on the search to find out how I can get wild game without it costing me an arm and a leg. I know they have meat markets around here where you can buy a half a beef or even pork. But I really would prefer wild game. It is so much healthier for you. Are there any hidden rednecks in our ward? haha I am thinking no! Well if you know of any information please pass it on to me. Maybe I will have to get manly and head back up north during hunting season and haul it back down here? Uh just thinking about that makes me think I will just go to the store and keep eating turkey burgers. hehe.... About canning though I really think it would be great if we could get a group together and everyone make a pot of something and we share it and can it all. Fun times and healthy eating!

3 comments:

Julie Avery said...

you are a crack up!

Tasha said...

I'm all for the canning, but I think I'll leave the big game eating to you! I'm perfectly fine with my chicken, pork and vegetarian meals :)

RamirezFamily said...

I love chicken and pork too! However with the way that meat is processed and all the crap they put in it now I feel like I have to buy organic which is expensive! But we for sure should do canning!