Monday, April 18, 2011

Late Night Fiesta (10pm) Experiance


I love other cultures, I find them fascinating and enjoy being around different people and learning different things from them. So, last night was my first experience with a "Mexican" birthday party. I can say at first I was little hesitant, and beginning to get mildly crabby ok very much crabby from my husbands perspective. FYI (I tend to get this way when I really do not want to do something but know I will end up doing it anyway) After waking up to a massive migraine that morning and already upset because I did not attend church, I really did not want to go. Then I here something about fajitas and my mind starts to slightly shift. Food? now that's something that can get me moving haha. Then you throw some tres leche cake in there and you can for sure count me in! So, I throw on some clothes, and head over. It starts out pretty quiet everyone is sitting around eating and enjoying each others company. Which once again hello, Mexican party means Spanish speaking 99% English speaking 1%. So, I try to bust out some Spanglish and pretend I am comfortable. But, the food, oh the food was AMAZING. So I just stuff my face and shake my head and smile. Then the music starts.... the very loud music, from very large speakers! Everyone is having a great time the kids are having a blast and then bust out the pinata which was also great. Then the cake comes out, they shove the little girls face in and my boys and starring at me with wide eyes. Another tradition I am sure they will get used to seeing. As the sun starts to set, everyone gets out of their seats and begins to dance. Which is great, I LOVE TO DANCE...... only when its in a large group, in the dark, and to something that has more of a booty skakin beat. The style strangely reminded me of small Rock River dances where people just made up their own things and went with it. After partner dancing was over I figured I could handle just standing in a group dancing. Which was fun until they shoved me in the middle to bust a move. The first thing that comes to mind was the sprinkler!! haha a total white girl move so I just busted it out and didn't care. I was ok with all this and proceeded back to my seat after the song. Until I was asked to dance by a well lets just say we all know how tall most Mexicans are. I insisted I didn't know how and was not going to dance. After several minutes of him not understanding or just not wanting to, because hello "NO" is a world wide term, I finally gave in. BIG MISTAKE! Not only did I not know what I was doing, but I am like a foot taller than this guy so I stand out WAY more than anyone else. Finally the music started to die down and I could head back to my house, ok with looking like a fool because most likely everyone had to much to drink and wont remember the freakishly tall white girl.

No comments: